Day 5 brings another 933 words added to my novel, bringing the total to just over 10,000. I’m going to have to work on some metrics tomorrow to determine what percentage I estimate to be done according to the storyboard I’ve laid out.
Anyone know of a good reporting system for daily updating that shows metrics on word count, projected percentage complete, etc?
On the fourth day of the New Year’s 30 Day Challenge, I’ve decided to take a look at the first chapter of my novel, Dimenxia, which I wrote 4 years ago. I’ve never had to do a substantial rewrite of a piece of literature before, and I decided to share my ideas to potentially help out other authors going through the process.
I transcribed 1545 words of Chapter 8 of my novel today. I have only one more handwritten chapter to transcribe, then I can get into editing the early chapters (which were written 3+ years ago) and then on to fleshing out the timeline!
Getting the eighth chapter of Dimenxia complete keeps me coming back to wonder about where this is all heading. Am I going to complete the entire novel, then go the traditional route of sending in the transcript to traditional publishers and get tons of rejections before finding a good fit.
Or, I could publish it myself through a system like Amazon’s Kindle marketplace. Or I could go even farther and go with some sort of home-made distribution system that seems to work so well.
There will certainly be plenty of research into this topic as I get further and further into my manuscript. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Rack up one more day tallied on my daily challenge. I worked transcribing for another 15 minutes today.
Today was hard because it was jam packed full of other “stuff” to be done. But luckily, my wife is a gamer, and I was able to convince her to go for 20 minutes of Half-Life 2: Episode One while she waited for me to complete my goal.
Looking forward to the next few days!
Day 1 has gone swimmingly, as I’ve transcribed Chapter 7 of Dimenxia into Google Docs.
Going back to writing that I did a few weeks ago is a different experience for me, and it seems that either I was very tired when originally writing this, or my style has actually changed a bit over the interim. But, it looks like that could only be a good thing, as there will be more self-editing to do.
My plan over the next 3 days is to finish transcribing the two other chapters that I’ve already handwritten, and then go back and rewrite Chapter 1.
I plan on writing an in-depth blog post about returning to old writings, based around my future experiences with rewriting Chapter 1.
That’s all, just a quick update to show that I’ve actually stuck to the plan for 24 hours!