So, I ended up having quite a few problems with the original setup that weren’t expected. I am going to have to fundamentally change the way that I look at how I do work, and what exactly is needed while I am doing said work.
Here’s a fairly short explanation.
I probably talk way too much about how much I dislike Windows, and not offer enough solid critical feedback for anyone to take me seriously. I was messing around with my XP install, trying to find a way to clearly divide the two main workflows that I have, and automate switching between, making it as easy–and fast–as possible to get things done.
Now, I don’t know if these issues are unique to me, and the way that I do things on Windows, but I have a feeling there are other people out there who will agree with me.
The two main workflows that I encounter in Windows:
As some of you may know, Ubuntu Linux 8.10 “Intrepid Ibex” is set to be released in a few days. Since I last reinstalled Ubuntu, I decided to go with the 32-bit platform, even though my hardware is 64-bit capable.
At this point, I only run with 3.5Gb of RAM, so using 64-bit isn’t a must for me, but I, like other Linux users, like to squeak out every last bit of juice that my machine is capable of. The issues that I had with 64-bit are not mine alone, and I’m not too sure whether or not the next release of Ubuntu will in fact cure any or all of these issues.